Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Walking a Dog


I am one of those lucky dogs who gets to walk at least 5x a week if not 7. Thanks to my loving Mom who thinks that I'd be a happier dog if I get to walk everyday. We walk first thing in the morning, before I get to eat my breakfast. Morning is the best time to walk a dog because the energy is very high. Utilize it in a positive way.

But did you know how to properly walk a dog? This is how Momma got me trained.

Firs of all, she would call my name and show me the leash. She waits until I am ready for a walk. When I am ready, I simply just go to her and let her put the leash all the way up to the base of my neck.

Using a leash is way better than a harness because of better access when your dog is not paying attention to you.

Make sure you go out of the door first. Tell your dog to sit and stay. Don't start the walk until your dog is in calm/submissive state of mind.

Grab the leash and let the dog go out of the door and tell her to sit or stay while you are closing the door.

Make sure the dog is paying attention to you -the pack leader. Most common mistake is when the dog walker pays attention to the dog - wrong!

Be assertive as a dog walker. Your head should be up, look straight and shoulder blade straight. Project a positive energy. Internally your message will be sent to your dog.

Don't tell the dog "let's go!" or "Are you ready?" That is a big mistake. Just simply start the walk. By this time, your dog's head should be up all the time.

Your dog should walk beside you or behind you. Common mistake is when the dog is walking ahead of you. He will assume he is the pack leader.

Don't let the dog sniff around while you are walking. Let the dog know that this is about walking and that you mean business.

When you notice that the dog's attention is not on you, grab the leash and say Shhhh! which means "pay attention!".

Within 45 minutes walk, Momma and I would stop 2-3x under the shade of a tree. By this time I can do anything I want like sniff around, pee or poo. Drink a water or simply just to catch our breath.

If you notice that your dogs energy is so high (upon going out of the door) then maybe you can take the dog for a short jog or simply run and then you can start the walk. By this time your dog would be more attentive to the proper walking.

As soon as we get home, Mom would clean me and then I can eat my breakfast. That is my morning reward.

***woofff! Dada told Momma that she is a good student of Mr. Cesar Millan, high five Momma!

No comments: