Thursday, July 13, 2006

I just got spayed


Here I go, no turning back now.

I had my surgery done today at Big Walnut Animal Care Center. Everything went well, woff woff! Thanks to Dr. Jennifer Hurst, D. V. M. and to her Vet Assistant Tracy Hamilton. They are extremely nice to me and they give me lots of loving while I was with them.

For those who are curious what service to expect and how much to pay

Service/Item: Amount:
*Three presurgical lab test 39.50
*Surgical IV catheter & fluids 47.00
*Metacam injection 25.50
*Canine Spay 194.00
*Torbugesic pain-killer inject. 27.50
*Dental extractions 36.00
*Microchip Identification 45.00

Total of --------------------$414.50


Two of my baby teeth decided they are not ready to fall out yet. So the doctor extracted them. They also implanted a HomeAgain Microchip Identification on me. It is about a size of a grain of rice and you can not see it after it is being implanted. The procedure is similar to administering a vaccine.

What is HomeAgain?
HomeAgain is an advanced pet identification and retrieval system. A microchip with a unique identification code is implanted between my shoulder blades. Momma will then enroll me with the HomeAgain Pet Recovery Service. HomeAgain maintains a national database and is available 24-hours daily, 365 days a year. IF I get lost and found, I can be scanned at an animal shelter or the clinic of a participating veterinarian and then my identification number is called into HomeAgain (1-866-PET-ID24), and then my parents is notified immediately.

I also received a collar tags to wear with my HomeAgain identification number and their toll-free number. The tags alone help identify lost pets, but tags/collars can come off easily. A microchip provides permanent identification that remains in place. Cool thing huh? Wofff!

Post-operative Care:
Due to effects of gas anesthesia, your dog may be quiet or groggy for up to 24 hours after surgery. Avoid stair access or other situations that may lead to injury. We recommend keeping your dog supervised for the next 12 hours. Coughing or gaggling is a normal side effect of intubation. If your dog was on IV fluids today, expect an increase in urinations.

The anesthesia may cause your dog to experience some nausea. To prevent vomiting, we recommend offering ice chips or small sips of water for the first few hours. You may offer a small meal once your pet is fully recovered from the anesthetic, usually the morning after surgery.

Recommended Daily Care:
It is imperative that you restrict your dog's activity for 14 days following surgery. Rough or excessive activity may lead to delayed healing or damage which may require additional treatment at your expense. Do not allow any running, jumping or horseplay. Keep her on a leash to go out for eliminations. You may need to confine her to a small room or crate if she is especially active.

Check her incisions often for signs of inflammation. Do not allow her to lick or chew at the sutures. Keep the area clean and dry. Do not bathe until the sutures ar removed. A suture removal should be scheduled 10-14 days post surgery.

When to Call the Office:
Redness, swelling or discharge around incisions.
Persistent licking or chewing at sutures.
Lack of appetite for more than 2 days, vomiting/diarrhea, lethargy or depression, several discomfort.
Forceful or persistent coughing

No comments: